The Basics ~ Brows...Part 1

I have had tons of requests for more posts on how to actually apply makeup. I have done a couple of posts regarding foundation and contouring (you can read those here and here.) I thought I would get some basics done and then maybe do some different pictorials with fun looks.

Today I am going to be focusing on brows.  Here are a few pointers...
  • Get your brows professionally waxed or threaded every now and then if budget permits. It's always  helps to have a solid guideline to begin with. This is especially helpful if you have over plucked or have grown them out and are not sure what shape you need. 
  • Thicker is better.  Generally thicker brows will give you a more youthful appearance (we all remember how gorgeous Brooke Shields was in Blue Lagoon right!!) You will still want to shape them but go easy on the tweezers!
  • Shape accordingly.  Ideally you want the inner part of your brow to be thicker than the tail - taper to a thin line as if goes toward your temple, and your arch should be just outside your pupil. And again, if you are unsure of what shape you should have see a professional.  

 So let's get started!!! 

I am going to show two different ways to fill in your brows today.  First with a powder and then with a pencil.  It is truly a matter of preference....and sometimes I use both.

First I run a spoolie through my brows to brush them in place. I don't brush them straight up, more like towards my temple.

 
Then I take my powder (I am using Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Powder in medium brown - from the Brow Genius Kit). I push my brush into the powder, tap the excess off and run it along the bottom part of my brow. You will end up with a line that looks like this...
**GENERALLY YOU WANT TO START YOUR LINE WHERE YOU NOSE LINES UP WITH THE INNER CORNER OF YOUR EYE AND END YOUR LINE WHERE YOUR NOSE LINES UP WITH THE OUTER CORNER OF YOUR EYE**

Next, do the same step and run your brush along the top of your brow. Then take your brush and lightly fill in. Generally you don't need to add much more product, I typically fill in the front of the brow with whatever is left on the brush and add just a touch to fill in through my arch. 


If you want a really clean, defined brown you can take a flesh colored pencil (I am using Milani Brow & Eye Highlighter) and lightly trace the top and bottom of your brown...then blend with a concealer brush.

 And this is the final look!


If you have really unruly brows you can run a clear brow gel through them and that will keep them in place all day! There are also some great products now that are smudge proof and waterproof. Don't be discouraged if your brows don't come out perfect the first time. It takes some practice working with loose powders and a brush. Keep trying and hopefully with these tips & practice you will achieve YOUR perfect brows!

                     Stay tuned for Part two - a tutorial on how to fill in your brows with a pencil!!!

Comments

Popular Posts