Get ready with me....A soft smokey eye...

Here it is. My very first blog tutorial.  Please forgive me for a few fuzzy pictures and the silly faces.  I am still trying to learn my new camera and figuring out the best angles. I wanted to go with something fairly easy. I used few products so that many of you could recreate it. I went with soft browns for the simple fact that most people will already have those colors in their makeup collections. If you don't have the exact same products I have that is ok. Just use something similar.

I started all the way from the beginning; foundation to lips....and I did it in the order that I often do my own makeup. I would love some constructive feedback so that I can continue making these types of posts. Enjoy!

First I started with a clean face. I usually put my moisturizer on and let it sink in for about 20 minutes before I am ready to do my makeup.  First up are my brows. I wanted to keep them very natural for this look. I used Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Whiz Pencil in Ash Blonde. First I make a line on the bottom of the brow with short dashes, then I do the same with the upper part of the brow...then I lightly fill it in and brush through with the spooly end of the pencil.

Then I start with my foundation. I dab it under my eyes in an upside down triangle form, along my jawline, my forehead and the bridge of my nose. Then I use a stick foundation to do my contour...along the hollows of my cheeks, the sides of my nose and just under my chin.  Contouring is different for everyone because everyone has a different face shape. This is what works for my face. I am planning a few posts on how to contour different shapes so stay tuned for that. My foundation was Revlon Whipped Foundation in Nude and Maybelline Fit Me Shine Free Foundation Stick in Toffee.  


Then I take my damp Beauty Blender and blend everything in until there are no more harsh lines. I then set that with powder under my eyes, my forehead and the tip of my chin with Coty Airspun Translucent Powder (planning a separate blog about this gem!). 

Next I used MAC Paint Pot in Quite Natural and pat that all over my lid with a large flat brush.  You could also use your finger for this part. It doesn't have to look to neat because I will be blending it out with a fluffy brush in the next step. 


I used a Sonia Kashuk blending brush (this brush is from this set sold at Target) and do a windshield wiper motion back and forth until there are no harsh lines. On the outer corner I sometimes do tiny little circles to blend. Then I used MAC's Brulee (a matte bone shade) and blend that onto my brow bone, softly blending into the Quite Natural. To get a nice soft smokey look blend a bit of the Paint Pot on your lower lash line. The longer your lashes on the bottom the farther out you can blend the shadow, if you have really short lashes keep the color really close to your lash line but if you have really long lashes you can really smoke out the color.

Next I used Darkhorse from my Urban Decay Naked Palette.  Any medium brown shades will work.  I pat that shade all over the mobile lid.  Again this doesn't have to be super neat because I am going to blend it out again with my big fluffy brush.  Be sure not to swipe the color on, this will sheer out the color and won't give you the payoff you want for a soft smokey eye.


Take the fluffy blending brush and do the same windshield washer movement to blend out the brown.  Next I used MAC's PowerPoint Pencil in Stubborn Brown to line my upper & lower water line. This may take some practice so go slowly - you don't want to poke yourself in the eye!  Lastly I apply 2-3 coats of your favorite Mascara. I used NYX Lushes Lashes in Full Figured.  I tend to use a waterproof formula because it helps my lashes stay curled. 


I  forgot to take a picture of when I applied my blush~ I used ELF Studio Contouring Blush & Bronzing Powder and applied it to the apples of my cheeks.  Finally I applied ELF Matte Lip Color in Nearly Nude.  This is a great everyday makeup and you can use nearly any shade you like. The big thing to remember is to blend out your edges.  Another tip to remember with smokey eyes is to layer - it's always easier to build up color then to try and take it away if you have applied to much!

Here is a pic of my finished look and all the products I used.  I hope this was helpful.  If you would like more details about any of the products just shoot me a message! And if you recreate it I would love to see it!!

**I forgot to add the MAC eye liner and the mascara....

Comments

Popular Posts