Sparkle & Shine....

New Year's Eve is the perfect time to add a little sparkle & shine to your normal makeup routine.   There are so many options...shimmery eye shadows, glitter liners, or follow one of winter's biggest trends,  a gorgeous dark red or burgundy lip.

A few months back I bought a combo pack from Sephora that consisted of 5 mini glitter eyeliners, specifically with New Year's Eve in mind.  There is a pink, black, purple, silver and gold. Sadly this item is no longer carried at Sephora, but I know that there are many similar items. Urban Decay carries quite a few colors, but they are a bit pricier, retailing for $18. Wal-mart carries a line called Hard Candy that carries glitter liners. They have a good selection of colors and much more affordable, retailing for $6. 

Along with the eyeliners, I found a fantastic highlighting cream! The highlighting cream is by Anastasia.  It's give you a very subtle glow once blended. I have the color Aspen. The highlight cream is a golden pearl and the blush is a shimmery peach.  I often use this on the high points of my cheek bones, along the bridge of my nose and my Cupid's bow. It's a great way to add a touch of luminosity to your skin without having a face full of shimmer.

L to R: Pink, Black, Purple, Silver & Gold
Glitter Liners ~ Anastasia Highlighting Cream (Aspen)
One of my favorite eye palettes is Naked Palette by Urban Decay. It consists of 12 eye shadows. This palette has something for everyone. Shades range from soft champagne to gritty gunmetal. A variety of textures, including glitter, shimmer, and matte.  Four of my favorite for this time of year are: Sin, Sidecar, Half-Baked and Toasted.

L to R: Sin, Sidecar, Half~Baked, Toasted
The Naked Palette
These 4 colors are my go-to's when I want to bring some shimmer to my eyes. They work so well with all the other colors of the palette and as well with matte shadows. If you are looking for a palette that has a bit of everything then look no more!

Now if you are looking to add some shine to your look then a red, burgundy or pink lip is the way to go. There are so many options out there but keep in mind a few tips when trying to pull off a red lip.  If you have an olive skin tone look for orange-y or a tomato red. If you have a cooler skin tone, try a shade with pink or blue tones. Below are a few of my favorites.

Mary Kay Creme Lipstick in Amber Suede and Black Cherry.  These lipsticks are considered a satin finish. Both colors are long-wearing, the color glides on easily and has a creamy texture. I have found that the color stays put for quite a while, even longer if you pair it with a liner beforehand. They retail for $15.

Next up is Maybelline's Color Sensational Lip color in Ruby Star. I absolutely LOVE this lipstick. It gives you crisp color and is very pigmented.  It is very creamy and there are a TON of colors to choose from. It's extremely affordable, retailing for about $7-$7.50 depending on where you purchase it.


Finally I have Revlon's Color Burst Lip Butter in Candy Apple. This lipstick is a buttery balm with beautiful shiny color to give you soft, glowing lips. The color is sheer, but you can build the color up quite beautifully. I actually have 3 of these and use them almost daily. These also retail for about $7-$7.50 depending on where you purchase it.

L to R: Amber Suede, Black Cherry, Ruby Star, and Candy Apple
 Finally we have my favorite bright glosses. I am a gloss addict. I have a whole jar full of them and am always on the hunt for new ones. Here are a few of my favorites.

First up we have Pro Longwear Lipglass, in Lasting Achievement by M.A.C Cosmetics. I simply ADORE this color.  This is a long wearing Lipglass that goes on smooth and lasts for quite a long time. It is a bit thick but if you apply a very sheer layer you can use it like a lip stain. I wore this for a Halloween party and it truly lasted all night! It is a bit pricier retailing for $19.50, but I promise you it's well worth it.

Next we have Revlon Color Stay Ultimate Lip Color. This goes on like a gloss and dries slightly to give you a lipstick finish.  And this color really does last. I have worn this out and it lasted through dinner with no re-application. It is slightly dry, but if you are looking for a lip color that won't budge this is it! It retails for around $10. The color I have is Surreal Sienna which is discontinued but there quite a few great colors that are similar.

Next is L'oreal Infallible Never Fail Lip Gloss in Sangria.  This gloss give you a smooth even finish, along with gorgeous shine!  It's available in a range of luminous shades from Barely Nude to Rebel Red! This retails for about the same cost as the Revlon, around $10.


The last two are from Tarte Carried Away Collector's Set. This was a limited edition set sold at Sephora, sadly it's is no longer available. My two fave colors are Anna & Ali. They are both bright pink color but very sheer and extremely easy to wear. Since these were sold as part of a set they are not available for individual sale but the Tarte brand carry some gorgeous glosses. They are high-end, retailing for $21 but I have heard amazing things about them and plan on adding them to my wish list based on the two minis I have.

L to R: Lasting Achievement, Surreal Sienna, Sangria, Anna, & Ali

Whew! Hope you got all that, and that you embrace the fun that IS New Year's Eve! So bust out the glitter and slip on some sexy red lips and have a fantastic (and SAFE) New Year's Eve!!!

Comments

Popular Posts